Tuesday, April 25, 2023

But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.

Hebrews 10

 But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls. Hebrews 10:39

I continue my study of Hebrews, and this morning my focus is Hebrews 10:26-39, and and I am assisted in my understanding by the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary Series for Hebrews. The commentary outlines three divisions for this text:

I. A Fearful Warning (10:26-27): Here the commentary shares how believers are warned against apostasy where "if you continue in sin and definitely refuse to repent, then you essentially reject the gospel and willingly walk the path that leads to destruction."  We are referred to Matthew 13 and the Parable of the Sower where Jesus described "gospel seed falling in shallow soil and showing immediate signs of life but dying out when persecution came. The initial sign of life does not describe regeneration, only spiritual interest. The regenerated life, by contrast, is transformed, bears new fruit, and has a lasting eternal impact."  We are also referred to 1 John 2:19 where we are warned to not love the world and to be "of the world" but instead to identify with Christ. The commentary also shares how this division is one of the most sobering warnings in all of scripture. 

II. The Judgment of God (10:28-31): The commentary continues in its warnings by referring to the Old Testament and the Mosaic Law.  It refers to the rejection of the Father (breaking the 1st commandment or the most important commandment), rejection of Jesus and His crucifixion and the role of His blood and our salvation, and rejection of the Holy Spirit. References to the Old Testament are important because as the commentary shares "[w]e must not fall into his hands the way Israel did....[and]...[w]e must not trifle with God."

III. The Faith of Those Who Endure (10:32-39): Finally, the commentary uses the remaining division and text to encourage believers to endure, seeking the better possession and focusing on the eternal.  It shares: "[w]e may lose possessions, friends, family, and the comforts of this life, but we have a better and abiding possession waiting for us in our heavenly city. As with the believers in the book of Hebrews, what we gain when we endure persecution can never be taken away from us....These warning passages keep the believer from spiritual complacency.

Be encouraged, endure, and stay near to God as He is faithful to fulfill the promise He gives us with our salvation!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good and Your Word is good as is the Holy Spirit which You give us as our Advocate and Helper as we know You are with us at all times.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You are with me at all times...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.