Tuesday, April 18, 2023

But go your way till the end. And you shall rest and shall stand in your allotted place at the end of the days.

But go your way till the end. And you shall rest and shall stand in your allotted place at the end of the days. Daniel 12:13

I continue my study of Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 12:5-13 as I lean on my commentary for this text.  The commentary starts by sharing how in v5, Daniel's vision pivots to describe how "two other angels join Gabriel on the bank of the Tigris" (see also Daniel 10:4). It then shares how Jesus is described starting in v6 as the "man in linen" (see also Daniel 10:5-6).  "Someone," presumably one of the angels who joined Gabriel, asks of Jesus in v6 "how long shall it be till the end of these wonders?"  Jesus responds but in a way that is incomplete; in v7 Jesus responds that the end of these wonders would be "for a time, times, and half a time, and that when the shattering of the power of the holy people comes to an end all these things would be finished."  The commentary refers to this period as "[w]hen evil has done its worst and the hopes of the people of God seem shattered, then God will act." Daniel is still confused - as should be all believers - in v8.  In v9, Jesus continues to respond to Daniel by sharing that the fullness of Daniel's vision and a more complete understanding of what will occur at the end will remain a mystery and be "sealed." The commentary shares: "[t]he word is protected, and it will be preserved. Everything will happen as God intends at the right time. Be faithful. Trust him. Be patient...there are things we know and things we don’t know and can’t know because God has chosen not to reveal them to us. However, one thing we can know with certainty is how we are to live in light of the Son of Man’s coming at the time of the end." In v10-13 there is a call for believers to endure and persevere the suffering and persecution that will occur as we will be refined as the commentary shares "our Lord promises to bless those who endure and persevere through these difficult and troubling times of opposition and persecution...God says, but I still have work for you to do. When it is time for you to retire from my work, then I will bring you home. Then “you will rest” because you will be with me. Then, as promised in verse 2, you will “stand to receive your allotted inheritance” (v. 13; ESV, “allotted place”), your destiny, your reward. This will happen “at the end of the days.” So do your duty, make disciples, proclaim my Word, and endure. Something wonderful is on the horizon at the end." Persevere and endure!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are great and I am grateful for how You reveal Yourself through Your Word and the Holy Spirit - thank You Jesus for providing great words of comfort and assurance so that I can endure and persevere.  I am not deserving of how You reveal Yourself to me nor for my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.