Monday, April 3, 2023

Then I heard a holy one speaking, and another holy one said to the one who spoke, “For how long is the vision concerning the regular burnt offering, the transgression that makes desolate, and the giving over of the sanctuary and host to be trampled underfoot?” And he said to me, “For 2,300 evenings and mornings. Then the sanctuary shall be restored to its rightful state.”

Daniel 8

 Then I heard a holy one speaking, and another holy one said to the one who spoke, “For how long is the vision concerning the regular burnt offering, the transgression that makes desolate, and the giving over of the sanctuary and host to be trampled underfoot?” And he said to me, “For 2,300 evenings and mornings. Then the sanctuary shall be restored to its rightful state.” Daniel 8:13-14

I continue my study of Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 8:1-14 as I lean on my commentary for this text - which my commentary outlines as having one division - God Gave Daniel a Vision - with three subdivisions:

  • God, who knows the future, predicted the rise of Medo-Persia (8:1-4)
  • God, who knows the future, predicted the rise of Greece and Alexander the Great (8:5-8)
  • God, who knows the future, predicted the rise of Antiochus IV Epiphanes (8:9-14) 

 Here the commentary introduces the text by sharing how the original text for this chapter (through the end of Daniel) was in Hebrew, and "[c]hapters 8–12 deal with Israel and what lies in her future. Hebrew is more fitting because this was the language of God’s people." Echoing a similar theme as in previous chapters of Daniel (and throughout all of scripture), this morning's text reminds us that "[t]yrants of this age strut briefly on the stage. God raises them up, and he takes them out. If our God has this kind of power over the nations and its rulers, surely that same power is in control of our lives as well. That is good news when rams, goats, and little horns are running wild among the nations!"

The commentary then pivots to the three sub-divisions where Biblical scholars agree that the focus is the rise and fall of Medo-Persia, Greece and Alexander the Great, and of Antiochus IV Epiphanes. The commentary shares that this "period will be a tumultuous and troubling time for God’s people, especially toward the end. They will suffer greatly. God, in grace, is preparing them ahead of time."  Alexander is followed by the rule of four of his generals who ruled over his kingdom divided in four: "Cassander over Macedon and Greece, Lysimachus over Thrace and Asia Minor, Seleucus over Syria and Babylon, and Ptolemy over Egypt."  The commentary shares that the little horn in v9 refers to Antiochus, who "emerged from the Seleucid Empire many years after the death of Alexander the Great. He would reign from 175 to 163 BC and severely persecute God’s people."  The commentary wraps by sharing that "our God knows the future, and in grace he lets his people in on many of the details to prepare them for what is coming."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace - You reveal Yourself and You prepare believers for what is to come - thank You Jesus for giving us a glimpse of Yourself so that we can have peace and confidence how You work and You reign.  I am not deserving of such a God who reveals Himself to me...personally.  Thank You Jesus!  Yet again I am not deserving...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.