Thursday, April 13, 2023

[S]ome of the wise shall stumble, so that they may be refined, purified, and made white, until the time of the end, for it still awaits the appointed time.

Daniel 11

 [S]ome of the wise shall stumble, so that they may be refined, purified, and made white, until the time of the end, for it still awaits the appointed time. Daniel 10:35

I resume my study of Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 11 and my unaided observations of the text.  The dominant theme is a vision from the same angel who appeared to Daniel in chapter 10.  The vision includes great conflict within the land, including Israel (referred to as the glorious land in v16 and 41), neighboring countries, and throughout far away lands (referred to coastlands in v18 and elsewhere in scripture).  Kingdoms are described in rising and falling away and there is great evil, blasphemy of the One True God (see v36), and idolatry.  We see God's hand and providence in this conflict as the word "appointed" either as "time appointed" (v27, 29) or "appointed time" (v35).   We also see "the end" mentioned (v27, 35, 40) in the context of it not being the appointed time for the end (27, 35) and at the time of the end (v40) - all implying end times yet there are no reference points to explicitly tie any of what is going on to the end times as described in other accounts specifically Revelation.  There is more to understand regarding context and history of what this vision and prophecy refers to and how it comes to pass - but for now I can take comfort in knowing that God reigns and He has already defeated sin and death - thank You Jesus!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You save - thank You Jesus for my salvation!  I am not deserving...not one bit.  My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.