Friday, April 28, 2023

But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.

Hebrews 11

But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city. Hebrews 11:16

I continue my study of Hebrews, and this morning my focus is Hebrews 11:11-19, and my unaided observations of the text.  Continuing with text referred to as the "hall of faith," Sarah is provided as an example who had faith in the promise God gave her that she would conceive, despite her age (v11).  V12 describes how the Abrahamic Covenant, first given in Genesis 12 but more specifically given once again in Genesis 15 is referred to here in Hebrews 11, and it is described as fulfilled.  The text then pivots to how faith drives us to allegiance to our eternal home - Heaven - where our true citizenship lies.  V13-16 describes the faithful from the Old Testament as being "strangers and exiles on the earth" and as having faith in new land where God is leading them - that this land is better and there is no desire to return to the old country.  V17-19 then describes how Abraham believed in the promise of God once more when asked to sacrifice his only son Issac - an amazing verse where the author of Hebrews describes Abraham as believing that "God was able even to raise him from the dead, from which, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back" (v19).  Believers, do not go back to your former country but instead look forward to the home and city God has prepared for us!  It will be amazing!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus - You are good and You are saving a place for me in Heaven and it will be amazing...thank You Jesus for my salvation!  I am not deserving of such a God and for such a blessing...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.