Saturday, April 15, 2023

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.

Daniel 11

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. John 16:33

I continue my study of Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 11:21-45 as I lean on my commentary for this text.  The commentary's main idea for this text is that "God reigns sovereign over the greatest enemies of his people and even uses those enemies for his own purposes."  It shares two primary divisions for this text:

I. God Raised Up a Contemptible Person to Refine, Purify, and Sanctify His People (11:21-35): Here, the commentary discusses how Daniel's vision prophecies the reign of Antiochus Epiphanes (who reigned from 175-163 BC), and how his wicked and sinful reign led to great suffering of God's people. Yet as we see with other periods of suffering throughout scripture, it is in response to sin and used to purify and sanctify God's people. 

II. God Will Raise Up the Antichrist, Who Will Exalt and Magnify Himself as God (11:36-45). This section of scripture is discussed by the commentary as being markedly different in terms of redemptive history, as the commentary shares that the antichrist highlighted here and the ensuing conflict is reflective of end times.

The commentary urges us to see Jesus in all scripture and here is no exception.  We are urged to see the contrast between Antiochus/Antichrist and Jesus and provided the below table to highlight the differences.  Once again, take heart that God overcomes (John 16:33).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace, compassion, and You save!  Thank You for how You speak to me and all believers and give us peace and confidence knowing that You have already won the victory over sin and death!  I am not deserving of how You save.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.