Saturday, April 8, 2023

I prayed to the Lord my God and made confession, saying, "O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments[.]"

Daniel 9

I prayed to the Lord my God and made confession, saying, "O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments[.]" Daniel 9:4

I continue my study of Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 9:1-19 as I lean on my commentary for this text, which outlines the following divisions:

I. Let Your Prayers Flow from Your Study of the Scriptures (9:1-2): The commentary referring to v1-19 as "one of the most remarkable prayers in the whole Bible," as it includes "(1) corporate confession of sin and (2) recognition of the greatness, awesomeness, righteousness, and holiness of God as expressions of his character."  Daniel intercedes on behalf of a a sinful Israel.  The commentary shares how Daniel prays based on his understanding of God and scripture, including the Pentateuch and Jeremiah, the latter of which Daniel knew of because Jeremiah preceded him.  Daniel specifically refers to Israel's exile of 70 years (v2) which is from Jeremiah 25:1-14 and 29:1-11. The commentary describes how Daniel leans on prophecy from Jeremiah and does the math - "knows the end of God’s judgment of exile on his people is coming[,]" as he was exiled in 605 BC and the date of his writing here is from 538 BC.  The commentary for this division wraps by sharing that "[c]onfidence in the promises of God did not move [Daniel] to complacency. It drove him to action and to his knees. Immersion in Scripture will energize prayer!" As we grow in understanding of scripture, so too will our prayers "become richer and more soundly based on who God is."

II. Let Your Prayers Humbly Take You into the Presence of God (9:3): V3 gives us a model how we are to approach God in humility as the commentary describes Daniel as he "turned to the Lord with a heavy heart, a burden he could hardly bear," and how his prayer is similar to the prayer Jesus prayed to His Father in the garden at Gethsemane (Luke 22:39-44).  The commentary describes this posture of how to approach God in prayer: "[i]t is truly unconscionable that we would ever think to burst into God’s presence in arrogance or pride, in hubris or vainglory. When we know our sins and the sins of our people, we will approach God on our knees and with our faces to the ground. Only then can we turn our faces to the Lord with our prayers and pleas."

III. Let Your Prayers Be Characterized by Honest and Full Confession of Sin (9:4-14): Here the commentary shares how "[p]hrase after phrase comes right out of Scripture. There are allusions to Leviticus (26:40) and Deuteronomy (28:64) and Exodus (34:6) and Psalms (44:14) and Jeremiah (25:11)."  The commentary describes Daniel's humility and his solidarity with Israel in using "we", "us" or "our" more than twenty times when he confesses Israel's sin.  He knows that Israel's punishment is deserved and he does not exclude himself from Israel's predicament but instead bears their burden as he "feels responsible for the people under his care."  At this point in Israel's exile, the people should be driven to their knees in confession and repentance but they are not - except Daniel.  The commentary appropriately quotes Billy Graham when he says "[t]o get nations back on their feet, we must first get down on our knees."

IV. Let Your Prayers Move to Petition and Pleas Grounded in God’s Character (9:15-19): The commentary describes how Daniel moves from confession and repentance to petition and pleas as he intercedes on behalf of Israel. Daniel requests mercy not because Israel is deserving but so that God's can be seen as merciful and glorified in how He keeps His covenant with His people. Prayer is emphasized as the commentary wraps for the text: "we should note the important role prayer played in the past but also in the present. In the past, in the garden of Gethsemane, our Lord was troubled and wept in prayer as he prepared to take on the sins of the world and to bear in his own body the judgment and wrath of God. But now, as Romans 8:34 and Hebrews 7:25 tell us, we have an intercessor in heaven, a great high priest, who pleads our cause before “the great and awe-inspiring God who keeps his gracious covenant with those who love him and keep his commands” (Dan 9:4).

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are great indeed, as Your mercies are great and they are new every morning as You provide not just mercy but also for all things and You are faithful.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your mercy nor how You provide.  My sins are great and they continue...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.