Thursday, April 20, 2023

And the Holy Spirit also bears witness to us; for after saying, “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws on their hearts, and write them on their minds,” then he adds, “I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.”

Hebrews 10

And the Holy Spirit also bears witness to us; for after saying, “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws on their hearts, and write them on their minds,” then he adds, “I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.” Hebrews 10:15-17

I resume my study of Hebrews, picking up with chapter 10. This morning my focus is Daniel 10:1-18 and my unaided observations of the text. Hebrews is written to Jewish believers in the church that still clung to the Old Testament, which of course they knew well as it contains Israel's journey as a chosen people, including its sinfulness, God's abounding grace and faithfulness to His covenant promise to Israel, and prophecies that pointed to Jesus.  The author of Hebrews seeks to encourage readers to see Jesus as supremely better than anything presented in the Old Testament, as the Great High Priest, as mediator for us on behalf of God, etc. In chapter 10, the author makes the case that Jesus is supremely better because He did away for the need for annual sacrifices to atone for sin.  The text right away makes the case in v4 where it says "[f]or it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins."  The author then focuses readers on how God desires not ritual animal sacrifices but our heart as the Old Testament (multiple references) is quoted in v5-7. Jesus's sacrifice on the cross ended the need for such sacrifices. The Old Testament is quoted once again (Ezekiel and Jeremiah) in v16 where God gives His people a heart of flesh and writes His Word on our hearts.  For sure, Jesus is better!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are great as You are faithful and You reign supreme.  You died once for me and for all of humanity as a spotless perfect sacrifice - so that those who believe in You have forgiveness of sin and eternal life - what an awesome gift!  Thank You! I am completely undeserving of such a gift.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.