Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Pilate said to them, “You have a guard of soldiers. Go, make it as secure as you can.”

Matthew 27

Pilate said to them, “You have a guard of soldiers. Go, make it as secure as you can.” Matthew 27:65

I pause in my study of Daniel to listen to DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today encourages us to follow Jesus as "we cannot lose."  John Piper uses Matthew 27:65 as the text for today, and shares how it was a losing proposition from the start for the the Pharisees to guard Jesus's tomb.  He refers to John 10:17-18 where Jesus says:

For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. John 10:17-18

No one took took Jesus's life - He willingly laid down His life.  And because He has the power and it was to fulfill scripture, Jesus rose again. Piper goes on to share how Christ was working in death, and He is always at work, including in the dark places.  There is no place Jesus can go, regardless of the day or time or circumstances, where He does not reign and have complete authority and dominion.  We should be encouraged to follow Him.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are an awesome God and You reign - giving us victory over sin and death, and confidence to follow You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me and allow me to share in a glorious inheritance - thank You Jesus!  Yet again, I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.