Monday, April 17, 2023

But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book.

Daniel 12

But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book. Daniel 12:1

I continue my study of Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 12:1-4 as I lean on my commentary for this text.  The commentary emphasizes how Daniel's vision here, which extends from 11:2, points to end times, and here in chapter 12, in light of this, "teaches us how to live as faithful exiles in a world, a context, that is not our home. It helps us answer the question, How can we live as kingdom citizens, dedicated disciples, in a land that is strange and even hostile toward us?" The whole of chapter 12 provides "nine marks of eschatological discipleship", including those found in v1-4:

  • we are to be comforted by God's protection: just as the angel Michael arises in v1, "[God's] angels are on your side, and they are busy at work on your behalf."
  • the hostility believers face now is just a foretaste of what is to be expected at the end times so we must be ready, "[p]urifying ourselves, cleansing ourselves, being refined by the power of the gospel and the Holy Spirit[.]" v1
  • believers name are written in the book of life - v1 - and we can count on God for our salvation; rest assured and be comforted
  • v2: just as Jesus rose from the grave, so too will believers
  • v3: we should "live wisely and point others to Jesus"
  • v4: we should treasure God’s Word and grow in [our] understanding of it" 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, Your mercies are new every morning and Your blessings about as a demonstration of the love You have for me and all Your children - thank You Jesus for the comfort, peace of mind, confidence, etc. You provide!  Amazing indeed!  I am not deserving of such blessings and of my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.