Tuesday, April 4, 2023

And he shall even rise up against the Prince of princes, and he shall be broken—but by no human hand.

Daniel 8

 And he shall even rise up against the Prince of princes, and he shall be broken—but by no human hand. Daniel 8:25

I continue my study of Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 8:15-27 as I lean on my commentary for this text - which my commentary outlines as having one division - God Sent Gabriel with an Interpretation - with three subdivisions.  The commentary for this text starts by sharing how "God’s revelation of himself in the Bible is a gift. God’s interpretation of his revelation is a double gift."  God reveals Himself in nature and creation through general revelation and He reveals Himself through His Word (special revelation).  In v16, God commands the angel Gabriel to help interpret Daniel's vision.  My commentary describes this moment: "Though under no obligation, God, in grace, helps Daniel in “trying to understand it” (v. 15)."  

  • Understanding God’s Word requires divine assistance (8:15-17): God sends Gabriel to Daniel to interpret his vision
  • Understanding God’s Word prepares us for what is coming (8:18-26): God wanted Israel to know that their suffering (albeit brought about by their own transgression (v12), would, according to the commentary "not be indefinite." The commentary describes the suffering, particularly under    Antiochus Epiphanes, and how Daniel's prophecies all come to pass in truth.  Ultimately, Antiochus Epiphanes falls - not by human hands (v25) as God reigns over all, including all nation states and their rulers.  The revolt by the Maccabeans in 164BC is described in the commentary and how this revolt of course is orchestrated by God and how Jews still celebrate Hanukkah in remembrance of this event.
  • Understanding God’s Word can be personally overpowering (8:27): The commentary describes how Daniel is "undone by the vision of chapter 8. It was more than he could bear." Although Daniel's initial reaction to the vision was overwhelming, he ultimately continued in his ministry, comforted in knowing God was in control.  My commentary wraps by sharing "Daniel did not let it [his vision] paralyze him. He did his job, and he trusted in his God. He is an example to all of us."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who reveals Himself to me - thank You Jesus!  I am comforted by how You reveal Yourself to me - and undeserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the sid effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.