Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

1 Corinthians 10-11:1

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. 1 Corinthians 11:1

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - unaided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 10:23-11:1.  Here, Paul builds on his warnings against idolatry (1Corinthians 10:1-22) by stepping back and looking big picture at Christian freedom - theology that is unpacked here in detail at DesiringGod.com. In v23, Paul states clearly that our freedom from the law does not mean that we are free to do things that do not forward God's call for our lives both corporately and individually - we are to focus on those things that help the mission and build others up.  In v24, this is amplified with Paul's words that we not focus on selves but on others - demonstrating Christ's model to love God, then love others (most important commandments (Matthew 22:34-40).  In vv25-26, Paul elaborates on Christian freedom for believers by using Psalm 24:1 as scriptural support to describe how they are not shackled to Old Testament ceremonial law.   In vv27-30, Paul uses the example of being a dinner guest of an unbeliever who serves food offered as sacrifice (as part of an idol worship ritual) to hit home Christian freedom - our liberty should be directed towards God's mission for us.  This means we must be flexible as Paul describes in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23.  This is made plain in vv31-33.  V11:1 hammers it home - be imitators of Christ.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me freedom from the law - so that I can be slave to Christ.  And this is a blessing and not a burden!  Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.