Wednesday, October 4, 2023

In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9

 In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel. 1 Corinthians 9:14

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 9:1-18. Main idea of the text from the commentary*: "To advance the gospel, we joyfully and readily give up our rights."  The introduction* then describes how - quoting J.D. Greear - Paul shared from 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 how the Good News of Jesus Christ, or the gospel "was of first importance," explicitly implying for Paul and for all believers that "[t]he salvation of others mattered above all other issues. The gospel above all was the decisive factor in all his decision making. Setting aside personal rights and preferences mattered nothing to him if it meant Christ could use him to save just one more person."  The commentary* then unpacks the text in two divisions:

  1. There Is a Right to Compensation for the Minister of the Gospel (9:1-14): Paul connects 1 Corinthians 8 to 9 by sharing that he "will not do anything to cause a brother or sister to stumble in the faith, even if he has the liberty and right to do that thing. That includes eating food sacrificed to a lifeless idol (ch. 8) and receiving compensation for preaching the gospel (ch. 9). Chapter 9 is a personal example that drives home the point Paul is trying to make in chapter 8. He builds a compelling argument for the right of financial compensation for anyone who preaches the gospel and ministers to the church. His argument is filled with rhetorical questions (fifteen altogether) and illustrations."
  2. There Is a Compulsion to Preach the Message of the Gospel (9:15-18): The commentary* then describes how even though issues such as abortion, the sanctity of traditional marriage, care for the poor, are important - taking the gospel into the world is a "necessity" for those called to preach.  When God lays both a gift and a calling on someone, the call must be answered in the affirmative!  It is then described how Paul "sets aside a claim to compensation "to preach the gospel free of charge....[with the pleasure of doing so as] his reward (vv. 17-18)."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are so good to me - giving me the gospel and providing a church home, church leadership, brothers and sisters in Christ from the church, etc. to disciple me in understanding Your Word for me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.  Help me support my church and church leadership.