Monday, October 2, 2023

Now concerning food offered to idols: we know that “all of us possess knowledge.” This “knowledge” puffs up, but love builds up.

1 Corinthians 8

[F]or us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist. 1 Corinthians 8:6

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 8.  The main idea offered by the commentary*: "[t]he spiritual good of others should always govern what we Christians do." The introduction* shares how Paul writes in this chapter how believers are to be "keepers of our brothers and sisters in Christ specifically. We are to always seek their good and avoid any action or word that defiles their consciences (v. 7), destroys their faith (v. 11), or that might prove a stumbling block to their walks with the Lord Jesus (v. 13)."  The following divisions are provided to unpack the text:

  1. All My Actions Are Regulated by the Principle of Christian Love (8:1-3): Paul responds to another inquiry to the church in Corinth about food offered to idols - a common practice at the time.  Conflict and uncertainty within the church arose about whether to purchase or consume such food. While this specific conundrum is not prevalent today, it does have parallels for today's church that struggles with how to respond to worldly influences that emphasize paganism. In his response, Paul sees the inquiry for what it is and it is not particularly about food offered to idols. Its about how to meet non-believers who may be immersed in sin, including idolatry, but need to be loved and encouraged in their faith although such faith may be immature and prone to "error" due to lack of strong doctrinal understanding that comes from spiritual maturity.  Paul first starts by admonishing the proud and arrogant within the church at Corinth who "flaunt" their knowledge of God and in so doing, fail to reach non-believers as their arrogant posture prevents them from seeing them and loving them exactly where they are.  These arrogant believers need to demonstrate love not knowledge. The commentary* then emphasizes that [Paul] tells us it is not what we know that is of utmost importance—though it is important; cf. 5:6; 6:2,3,9,15, 16,19—but who knows us! The ultimate issue in all of life is this: “Does God know you?” Verse 3 ties together loving God and being known by God."   
  2. All My Actions Are Regulated by the Truth of Christian Worship (8:4-6): Here, the commentary* makes it clear that we must understand that although believers know the One True God, we cannot deny "the existence of the many gods and lords falsely worshiped in this world."  At the same time we MUST live by and worship the One True God "from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist (v6)."
  3. All My Actions Are Regulated by the Guideline of Christian Deference (8:7-13): Here, the commentary* first refers us to Philippians 2:3-4 where "Paul explains to us what it means to have the mind of Christ: “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves. Everyone should look not to his own interests, interests, but rather to the interests of others.” Paul will apply this principle to the controversy that was raging in Corinth." The commentary continues by describing Christian deference, which would have - instead of being arrogant - led those in the church in Corinth to see how those worshiping idols is an influence that is sinful and that we all have sin so in an effort to gain believers to save them, don't pretend their sin (i.e. idols) doesn't exist.  Instead come beside them and love them as worthy of salvation by sharing the Good News - allowing the Holy Spirit to work within them to call them to Himself (election).  This is a convicting message for believers - we must be prepared to go INTO the world full of sinners and sin in an effort to love and save them (and to encourage and love those who may believe but are spiritually immature).  We should not throw a stumbling block into the journey of a "weaker" believer.  These "weaker" believers need encouragement and love!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - even when I am sinful and arrogant!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.