Sunday, October 15, 2023

The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.

1 Corinthians 10

The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. 1 Corinthians 10:16-17

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 10:14-22. From the commentary*, the main idea for the text: "Avoid idolatry and practices that bring you near idols, knowing that demonic activity promotes them." The introduction* then expands on this main idea by first sharing thoughts on idolatry/demons/devils from C.S. Lewis in the introduction to the The Screwtape Letters

"There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors, and hail a materialist or magician with the same delight."

This warning is then compared to the idolatry practiced by the church in Corinth in AD 55.

The commentary* then unpacks the text in more detail in two divisions: 

  1. Communion with the Lord Is Essential (10:14-17): Pointing to v13 from text previously discussed by the commentary*, Paul directly addresses idolatry by prefacing v14 with "so then." V13 shares how God provides a way out of temptation (Christ), so then we should "flee from idolatry (v14).  We should be on guard for sinful influences of all kinds.  Peter's words are useful - see 1 Peter 5:8. The commentary* then moves to vv16-17 where Paul draws our attention to the Lord's Supper and he contrasts it with idolatry.  Communion draws us closer to God (vs idols), moves us further from idols, and also provides for both fellowship and union with other believers. We are encouraged to participate in Communion.     
  2. Association with Demons Is Evil (10:18-22): Here Paul draws on his knowledge of the Old Testament where the Israelites practiced idolatry throughout various periods in its history. The commentary* explores demons and describes them as most likely fallen angels, pointing to Revelation 12:4 where "possibly one-third of the angels fell with Satan."  Additional scriptural references* to demons include:    
  • Some demons are free to roam now (Mark 1:21-34). 
  • Some demons will be free to roam during the great tribulation (Revelation 9:13-19). 
  • Some demons are confined now, never to roam the earth again (2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6). 
  • Demons are powerful but not omnipotent (Mark 1:24). 
  • Only God is omnipotent. Their activity may have increased during the time of Christ, and it may also increase again at the end of the age before Christ returns (see Revelation 6–19). 
  • They are set up under Satan’s control (Ephesians 6:11-12), probably in rank, possibly in geography (Daniel 10:12-14).

Further thought on demons provided by the commentary*:

  • They have authority and can promote disunity, false doctrine, and false worship, cause mental difficulties, and hinder Christian growth. 
  • Demons can oppress but not possess believers. 
  • Demons use idolatry to further false worship of false gods.
  • Demons compromise our loyalty 

Bottom line - we should know that demons exist, be on guard, and flee from influences that lead us towards them.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of compassion and grace for me - providing a way out from temptation and my brothers and sisters in Christ to support and encourage me in this effort.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.