Thursday, October 19, 2023

[Y]our steadfastness and faith in all your persecutions and in the afflictions that you are enduring... is evidence of the righteous judgment of God...since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels[.]

2 Thessalonians 1

[Y]our steadfastness and faith in all your persecutions and in the afflictions that you are enduring... is evidence of the righteous judgment of God...since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels[.] 2 Thessalonians 1:4b-7

Today I pause on my study of 1 Corinthians as I participate in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  For the next five days my focus is 2 Thessalonians 1 - today I read and did an unassisted (no commentary) study of this text.  Here, Paul writes to the church in Thessalonica, a church that he started (with Silas and Timothy) on his second missionary journey.  He is thankful for this church for their growing faith (v3), and their love for one another (v3) (with the latter being the 2nd greatest commandment - see Matthew 22:34-40).  He offers words of encouragement to the church in Thessalonica to continue to endure persecutions and afflictions (v4), emphasizing how their steadfastness and faith (v4)  in the face of persecutions and afflictions is evidence of God's righteous judgement (v5).  This righteous judgement makes them worthy of the kingdom of God (v5) because the faith and strength to endure this suffering brings glory to God because this suffering is for the sake of the church and the church's mission to serve and bring glory to God.  This is evidence of God's righteous judgment BECAUSE God - when He returns again for Judgement Day (second coming of Christ) -will repay those afflicting and persecuting the church, and will reward believers who suffer due to their faith (vv6-10).  Paul then closes the text in this chapter by offering encouragement via prayers for the Thessalonians (v11-12). 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus!  Thank You Jesus for revealing Yourself to me in Your Word.  I am not deserving of how You speak to me and for Your grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.