Sunday, October 1, 2023

Thus, sinning against your brothers and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.

1 Corinthians 8

Thus, sinning against your brothers and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. 1 Corinthians 8:12-13

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - unaided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 8.  Based on the ESV footnote from v1, Paul responds "to a question in the Corinthians' letter" to him - see also the same language in 7:1 - where he admonishes those who believe in how eating foods offered to idols somehow offer a benefit.  

v1-2: Paul draws a distinction from knowing something - perhaps facts, and this may serve to "puff" us up and by extension make others feel inferior (when this person whom supposedly knows something does not really know anything as it is God who reveals wisdom and knowledge) - vs love which "builds up" another.  

v3: Paul goes further with this distinction by stating that if we "love God, [we are] known by God."

v4-6: Paul now writes that "therefore" gaining knowledge through the eating of food offered to idols is a fool-hearty pursuit - since idols are not real and only God reveals wisdom and knowledge.  All things come from God and from Him we exist, and though Him all things, including people, exist.

v7-13: Some who do not know the Good News or are new to faith in Jesus Christ are weakened by thoughts and beliefs that might believe that good offered to idols provide some benefit.  Paul is explicit that what we eat is not of concern or care to God.  God does care however when we pursue theology that weakens faith.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives my wisdom and knowledge - it all comes from You.  Thank You Jesus!  Yet I am undeserving because I often get haughty and arrogant and I have other sin - lots of it and daily!  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.   Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.