Saturday, September 30, 2023

I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.

1 Corinthians 7

I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord. 1 Corinthians 7:35

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 7:25-40. The main idea*: "[m]arried couples and singles should aim to live in ways pleasing to God and work for his kingdom, yet singles have a special opportunity to serve God and avoid many earthly difficulties." The introduction* from the commentary emphasizes that regardless of how contemporary church culture may make it awkward for single people by encouraging marriage, "[t]he God who gave us the gift of marriage also gives us the gift of singleness. Singleness is not a lackluster position in God’s kingdom. No one is less spiritual for remaining single. Indeed, God blesses the single state for the Christian in several ways."  The commentary* unpacks the text with the following four divisions:

  1. The Spiritual Single Can Expect Less Distress (7:25-28): Paul shares how while there is no law or command for single people yet he offers guidance he believes is trustworthy. The commentary offers: "[l]ife is filled with difficulties and troubles. Sometimes, as it was for the Corinthians, life is extreme and intense. So remaining unmarried is a good thing and lessens one’s obligations, pressures, and responsibilities."
  2. The Spiritual Single Can Encounter Fewer Distractions (7:29-31): The verses urge believers to focus on things eternal and as such we are to keep our priorities on God.  Marriage, work, and worldly distractions abound and we should avoid getting too entangled in these distractions - we must be prepared for Christ and not forget that this world is passing away. We are referred to Colossians 3:1-2
  3. The Spiritual Single Can Enjoy Greater Devotion (7:32-35): Paul encourages singles to enjoy the freedom they have to focus on an undivided attention to God.
  4. The Spiritual Single Can Exercise a Better Decision (7:36-40): Fewer obligations and responsibilities for the single person offers singles more clarity of mind.  At the same time, those who opt to marry are not sinful.

The commentary's* conclusion provides the following Biblical examples of singles who devoted their lives to God:

  • The greatest person who ever lived was single: the God-Man, Jesus Christ. 
  • The greatest mere human who ever lived was single: John the Baptist. 
  • The greatest missionary and theologian who ever lived was single: the apostle Paul. 
  • The greatest statesman who ever lived was single: Daniel. 
  • The greatest prophets of Israel who ever lived were single: Elijah and Elisha.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - I am blessed with marriage and a God who equips me to serve within my marriage and family.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouse to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.