Tuesday, September 5, 2023

I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

1 Corinthians 2

I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. 1 Corinthians 2:3-5

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 2:1-9.  In the introduction to the text the commentary* describes how Paul was previously in Athens (Acts 17-18) and how "[f]ew there had believed the gospel of Jesus Christ" and the commentary speculates that perhaps Paul felt some doubt his tactics and that it might be better to change the message or its delivery - but he did not and the text for today makes it clear that Paul believes that "[t]he gospel of Jesus Christ and him crucified is both the power of God and the wisdom of God." Paul did not change a thing as the Good News stands alone and is sufficient - it is also a sin to modify the inerrant Word of God! Looking more closely at the text, the commentary* provides two (2) divisions: 

  1. The Cross Reveals the Power of God (2:1-5): Paul emphasizes how his teaching and preaching did not use "lofty speech or wisdom" (v1) but he relied on God alone and the basics of the Good News.  The commentary* shares how Paul sought to keep the message clear and simple.  The commentary further shares how the "message is simple and must always be presented clearly, repeatedly. It needs no addition, and we must never subtract from it. That Jesus died in our place (substitution) and paid in full the penalty of our sin (penal) is a nonnegotiable biblical truth. This message needs no adjustment. Share it in unvarnished clarity and trust God’s Spirit to do his work."  Digging further into the text (v3-4), the commentary describes how Paul sought to deliver his message as "fully dependent on God." It writes: "[t]oday a man might claim an intimidating assignment is “beyond me,” “over my head,” or “above my pay grade.” But dependence suggests we are exactly where God wants us. This is where God can use us greatly."  We are referred to 2 Corinthians 12:10. The commentary wraps for this division by looking at v5 and emphasizing how we are to have sincere and pure motives when sharing the gospel - not seeking to manipulate or to inject worldly motives. 
  2. The Cross Imparts the Wisdom of God (2:6-9): Here the commentary* shares how Paul is writing to believers in Corinth and that Paul is concerned that the believers there were in danger of losing the power and wisdom of the cross by falling prey to sinful temptations, including worldly wisdom that does not last (v6).  The commentary continues and shares how the "secret and hidden wisdom of God" (v7) "draws from" language in Daniel (and other text) and how this wisdom was once hidden but now revealed in the New Testament and Jesus Christ. "God’s hidden wisdom has a paradoxical nature to it. God had promised a deliverer, a Savior, throughout the Old Testament. There were prophecies, shadows, and types. However, because of human sinfulness, those promises were misunderstood and misinterpreted." All of this was planned and decreed from the beginning - yet again not fully understood.  Incredibly Christ's death not only brought glory to Himself, but also to believers who are chosen, justified, sanctified, and glorified!  The wonderful encouragement of v9 (quoting Isaiah 64:4) is discussed by the commentary as talking about what "belongs to believers right now."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and the cross and the Good News stands alone it is ability to delivery both wisdom and power!  Thank You Jesus for this gift, the Holy Spirit, etc.  I am not deserving of these blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.