Tuesday, September 26, 2023

To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.

1 Corinthians 7

To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife. 1 Corinthians 7:10-11

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 7:1-16. The main idea provided by the commentary*: "[s]ingles and married couples must follow God’s design and pursue faithfulness according to their gift.  The introduction to the commentary* describes how Paul admonishes the church in Corinth and how they were making a "mess" with some pursuing sexual immorality and others following a belief that God seeks that all people to abstain from sex (ascetics).  Both wrong and not according to God's design.  Paul addresses these concerns head-on as the commentary* shares that this chapter "is one of, if not the most, helpful chapters in the Bible on marriage. Its instructions are as relevant in the twenty-first century as they were in the first."  The following divisions* unpack the text:
  1. God Has Helpful Principles for Those Who Are Married (7:1-5): God created marriage in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2) but Adam and Eve fell prey to sin and since then the institution of marriage has been plagued by sin.  Paul rebuts the ascetics and at the same time emphasizes God's design for sex to be within marriage.  Paul then describe the marriage relationship as a partnership where both husband and wife serve one another. 
  2. God Gifts All of Us according to His will (7:7-9): Paul shares how some are gifted with marriage and some with singleness (including the latter for himself). 
  3. God’s Ideal Is for Marriage to Last Until Death Parts (7:10-16): Paul refers to Jesus' own words from Matthew 5:31-32, 19:3-12, Mark 10:1-12, and Luke 16:18 to emphasize* several key points: (a) God desires for marriage to be permanent. God allows for separation in a troubled marriage; (b) God always desires for reconciliation to take place, if at all possible, in troubled marriages; (c) divorce and remarriage among believers, except for sexual unfaithfulness (see Matt 5:32; 19:9), are wrong and sinful. and, even when there is sexual unfaithfulness in a believing marriage, God’s desire is for reconciliation and restoration. Paul then moves to discuss how God seeks "mixed" marriages (one believes, other does not) to remain married despite the potential for conflict and disagreement stemming from differences in faith.  The commentary* also explains how Paul's text here on v14 where unbelieving spouses and children are "made holy" is not to be interpreted as being saved. Instead the believer's influence on the unbelieving spouse and children is seen as a "holy" influence. 

The commentary concludes by referring us to Paul Tripp's article 10 Things You Should Know about Marriage.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion - providing me with Your Word as means to know You and Your design for me and for marriage.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.