Thursday, September 21, 2023

To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you.

 1 Corinthians 6

To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. 1 Corinthians 6:7

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - unaided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 6:1-11.  Here, Paul builds on words shared already in previous chapters of 1 Corinthians where he is admonishing the church in Corinth for its various sins, include pride, arrogance, and worship of men vs God.  The past three days I have posted about church discipline and how it is important to confront sin within the church.  Similarly, conflict and disagreement in the church must be addressed, and Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 3 how even leaders within the church submit to God as servants to Him who is working through the servants and "doing the growth." Today, Paul addresses how conflict should not result in believers taking each other to court via lawsuits, particularly in light of how it is "the world" that will preside over the lawsuit as judge. Paul refers to such efforts as a "defeat."  Church unity is critical as we must all be singularly focused on the broad mission God gives us - to love him, to love others and to bring the Good News to the world to save as many possible.  When we fight each other we fail in our mission.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - helping me and my brothers and sisters in Christ stay on mission, and when I fail in this mission (and I do) You are so gracious and patient with me...thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such grace and compassion...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.