Monday, September 4, 2023

“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, that God has prepared for those who love him”[.]

1 Corinthians 2

“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, that God has prepared for those who love him”[.] 1 Corinthians 2:9, Isaiah 64:4

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - unaided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 2:1-9. Here Paul builds on the discussion in chapter 1 where he contrasted God's wisdom vs worldly wisdom.  From the get-go, Paul shares how he came to Corinth a humble vessel seeking to be used by God to deliver the Good News (gospel). While Paul is known to be a gifted (by God) writer, he claims here to be less gifted in speaking (v1).  He sought to empty himself so that he could be filled with the Holy Spirit and its power.  Like any of us serving God, we seek to bring glory to Him and not to ourselves and we seek to make this abundantly clear (v2-5).  Paul continues by sharing that whatever wisdom is imparted - he attributes it to God alone as He alone reveals His wisdom to us (v6-7).  V8 amplifies v7 by describing how God's wisdom existed and was decreed "before the ages" and that if men in power knew this (which they did not by God's choosing) they "would not have crucified the Lord of glory." V9 gives me hope for the many prayer requests I have - 2 Corinthians 1:20

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for Your Wisdom - Your Word - the Holy Spirit, the church, and my brothers and sisters in Christ for helping me understand Your Word for me.  I am not deserving of the wisdom You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.