Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

 1 Corinthians 5

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:1-2

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 5:6-13. Building on commentary for 5:1-6, the commentary* for the text today provides three (3) divisions:

  1. Church Discipline Is Grounded in the Redemptive Work of Christ (5:7-8): We are new creations, called out of a life of sin to be holy. Paul's reference to the Passover festival is used to recall how Israel broke free from its bondage in Egypt and Jews celebrate this freedom. Believers are similarly called to celebrate - this time the work Christ on the cross and what it does for those who believe.  Church discipline must be based in an effort to demonstrate lives that are new and transformed - bearing fruit. 
  2. Church Discipline Must Be Exercised in the Community of Faith, Not the World (5:9-11): Here, Paul shares how church discipline is focused inward - on those inside the church, not on those outside the church. He calls out specific sins of sexual immorality, greed, swindling, idolatry, slanderers, and drunkenness. The challenge is to be "in the world" to seek and save the lost but not be "of the world" where the sinful influences lead us astray. Be on the watch for brothers and sisters within the church that have been led astray. 
  3. God Judges Those on the Outside While We Judge Those on the Inside (5:12-13): Paul emphasizes that God alone judges those outside the church so the church should avoid this focus and instead look inward and be on guard for the little bit of leaven that "leavens the whole lump" (v6). We are referred to Galatians 6:1-2 for how we can approach a brother or sister in Christ with "a spirit of gentleness."  The commentary* wraps for the text by sharing how it is not harsh to confront sin in the church: "[o]verlooking sin is not loving; it is sinful. Overlooking sin is not gracious; it is cowardice. Overlooking sin is not merciful; it is dangerous. Overlooking sin is not kind; it is hateful."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - You provide brothers and sisters in Christ who help confront my sin and encourage me in my journey with You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.