Friday, September 15, 2023

We have become, and are still, like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things.

1 Corinthians 4

We have become, and are still, like the scum of the world, the refuse of all things. 1 Corinthians 4:13

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 4:6-13. As a starting point, the commentary* provides as it main idea for the text: "[b]ecause Christians have received every good thing from God, they should avoid superiority, expect opposition, and live humbly."  It* then, in the introduction, further outlines Paul's intent for the text: "[t]he Corinthians had both a pride and an unbelief problem. They were taking pride in particular spiritual leaders and were arrogant in terms of who they thought they were and what they had achieved. Paul knew how deadly these twin sins can be in the body of Christ, the local church. So he confronts them."

The commentary* then outlines and provides details for the following divisions:

  1. Be Careful about Being Prideful about Whom You Follow (4:6-7): Paul first warns the church of Corinth, and by extension all believers, about misunderstanding the "nature" of the gospel, the "role of the Christian minister," and the "attitude of the Christian minister." He starts by sharing how the church leaders live life humbly so that they serve as a model for the church - he builds on text going back to 1 Corinthians 1:10 with analogies referring to the leaders as servants, co-workers, and managers/craftsmen sent and gifted by God. The leaders are mere vessels to advance God's kingdom and unworthy of worship - it is Jesus alone worthy of our worship.  The commentary* writes about the "cult of personality," arrogance/pride, etc. that consumed the church in Corinth: "[Paul] does not want the church to be arrogant, prideful, or puffed up, choosing favorites like worldly political parties do. We need to hear the same warning. Don’t be seduced by the ways of the world when it comes to your leaders."  Additionally, the message on boasting is reinforced as Paul reminds us that all we have is by grace not through our own efforts as "[e]very good gift and every perfect gift is from above" (James 1:17). As a result we are no better than anyone else.
  2. Be Careful about Being Arrogant about Who You Are (4:8-13): Paul then moves, using sarcasm and self-effacing language about himself and the other church leaders, to admonish the church about their arrogance and focus on "cult of personality."  He provides a contrasting portrait of the church leaders (spectacle of shame, fools, weak, dishonored, hungry/thirsty, poorly clothed/homeless, roughly treated, mere manual laborers, reviled, persecuted, slandered, scum, and garbage) vs the church body in Corinth and how they felt about themselves (arrogant and prideful). We are referred to Lamentations 3:45 as scriptural support for Paul's reference to the faithful as scum and garbage. Focus on Christ for Your identity - not the world!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus - You are an awesome God who humbled himself so that I could have forgiveness of sins and eternal life - simply incredible.  Thank You Jesus!  I am OF COURSE not deserving.  My sin persists...daily.  Please forgive me for my sins of both commission and omission.  Help me turn from such sin, overcome it and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.