Sunday, September 17, 2023

For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. I urge you, then, be imitators of me.

1 Corinthians 4

For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. I urge you, then, be imitators of me. 1 Corinthians 4:15-16

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 4:14-21. The commentary's* main point for this text: "[t]he church needs spiritual fathers to live exemplary lives and provide gentle, firm correction to help others mature in Christ."  The introduction* shares the blessing of fatherly wisdom - referring to Proverbs 1:8, 2:1-5, 3:1-2, 4:1-2, 6:20-22, 23:22) and how Paul offers this to the church in Corinth.  It* also shares how Paul founded this church and he serves as an "authoritative figure" for the church, just as an earthly father does for his children.  Divisions for the text include*:

  1. Spiritual Fathers Have a Unique Relationship with Their Children (4:14-15): Paul only wants what is best for the church in Corinth and right now they need correction to ensure they can stay on the right path.  Paul acknowledges how the church in Corinth has many advisors, including Apollos and Cephas (Peter), but Paul's unique relationship to the church (as founder and primary nurturer of the church) emphasizes one of a fatherly figure and the love that flows from such a relationship.  Paul seeks to live a live worthy of imitation just as son follows in the footsteps of a father.   
  2. Spiritual Fathers Provide an Example to Follow (4:16-17): We are referred to 3 John 1:11 where John also writes about imitating Godly behavior seen in others.  Additional scriptural examples include Ephesians 5:1, Philippians 2:5, 1 Peter 2:21, 5:2-3. We are urged to follow others to the extent that they follow Christ and of course remember that our primary model is Christ and not man. 
  3. Spiritual Fathers Confront Us When We Sin (4:18-19): Paul emphasizes how children need correction and similarly those less mature in their faith - as was the case with Corinth - need correction.  This correction include confronting sinful attitudes, but also sinful actions.   
  4. Spiritual Fathers Correct Us as Needed (4:20-21): Paul closes the text by providing spiritual correction and discipline and issuing a challenge for the church in Corinth - a harsh rebuke when he sees them again and nothing has changed or warm embraces and a more encouraging visit that highlights positive change in how Corinth has repented of its sin.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for placing spiritual fathers and mentors in my life that serve to encourage, rebuke, correct, and point me back to Jesus! I am not deserving of how You do this for me...my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.