Sunday, September 3, 2023

And because of him, you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”

1 Corinthians 1

And because of him, you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:30-31

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 1:26-31.  The commentary* provide three (3) divisions for the text:

  1.  God Calls the Unlikely (1:26): Here, the commentary emphasizes how God seldom calls the intelligent, influential and important of this world to Himself.  God wants it to be clear to the world that He is more intelligent, influential, and important than any other being in the universe and that His glory does not need anyone or anything.  God uses the most unlikely of those in the world to show that He is able to do anything through those He calls.  These are ordinary, humble people who surrender their live to Jesus. 
  2.  God Chooses the Unimpressive (1:27-29): Counted as the unimpressive, the commentary shares how God chooses the foolish, the weak, the insignificant, the despised, and the "nobodies" of this world to do His work to bring glory to Himself and others to Him. The commentary refers us to Deuteronomy 7:7 where it is described how God chose Israel - an insignificant and weak nation - as His own and the foundation of His church. Additional examples from scripture provided by the commentary* include David ("a shepherd boy named David whom he made a king"), Amos ("an uneducated farmer and tender of sycamore trees named Amos whom he made a prophet"), and Anna ("a prophetess and who testified to the redemption of Jerusalem when she saw the baby Jesus (Luke 2:26-38)....All of them are insignificant to the world but not to God."
  3.  God Changes the Unworthy (1:30-31): The commentary* reminds believers that "every good thing we have comes to us from God through his Son the Lord Jesus Christ." It shares that "wisdom delivers us from sin's perspective, righteousness delivers us from sin's penalty,  sanctification delivers us from sin's power, redemption delivers us from sin's presence, and boasting in the Lord delivers us from sin's pride."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who is able to do it all because You paid it all - for me and for anyone who calls upon Your Name.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and other.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.