Sunday, September 24, 2023

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

 1 Corinthians 6

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 6:12-20. The main idea for this text provided by the commentary*: "God purchased our bodies by the resurrection of Christ and united us with him so that we would be his temple and glorify him."  The commentary's* introduction for the text shares that "God is not indifferent to what we do with our bodies. They matter to him, and they matter a lot." It refers to 1 Corinthians 8:1-3 where it describes how the church in Corinth "reasoned...[that] the body and food and drink and sex are going to be destroyed in the end. There will only be free spirits. So, the body does not matter."  Paul tackles and refutes this view in today's text.  The commentary* unpacks the text via five divisions:

  1. God Has Principles for My Body (6:12-13): Paul admonishes the Corinthians' laissez-faire view of the gospel where "all things are lawful."  He challenges them by rhetorically asking them whether all things are "helpful" in building up the church and supporting its mission, and whether it is possible you idolize something you do over God.  He reminds them that we were made for a purpose - of course that purpose is to glorify God. 
  2. God Has Plans for My Body (6:13-14): We are referred to Romans 12:1 where we are commanded to offer our bodies as living sacrifices to the Lord - for His glory. Paul points us forward where believers' bodies will rise with Jesus in glorification when He returns.  The commentary then states that "[w]here we are headed in the future should impact how we live today. What God will do with my body in the future should affect what I do with it today."   
  3. God Has Protection for My Body (6:15-18): Quoting Shreiner, the commentary shares that: "[t]he relationship between believers and Christ is remarkably intimate such that believers represent Christ in what they do with their bodies." It also quotes (slightly modified) Rick Warren's "10 Commandments to Help Church Staff Maintain Moral Integrity."
  4. God Has Proprietorship of My Body (6:19): The commentary* reminds us that believers' bodies are "important and valuable" and "at conversion [God] makes [them] his home, his temple, his holy place."  This is of course an "honor", "privilege", and "gift".
  5. God Has Paid for My Body (6:20): Paul concludes the text by emphasizing how believers' were bought and redeemed for a great price - such that we can glorify Him with out bodies.  See also 1 Corinthians 10:31

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves and who is full of grace and compassion for me - You paid a great price for me.  Thank You.  Yet of course I am undeserving - my sin was and continues to be great.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.