Saturday, September 16, 2023

I do not write these things to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children.

1 Corinthians 4

I do not write these things to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. 1 Corinthians 4:14

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - unaided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 4:14-21. These verses emphasize Paul's endearing love for the church in Corinth - despite all of the challenges as described so far in 1 Corinthians, Paul writes in v1 how he admonishes them not to bring them shame but he does so out of love. See also Proverbs 3:11-12. In v14, Paul refers to the church in Corinth as his children, and he refers to himself as their father in v15.  In v16, he "urges" the church to imitate him as one who lives humbly to bring glory not to self but to Christ.  He sends Timothy to them to encourage and support them on their journey - and similarly he refers to Timothy as his "beloved and faithful child in the Lord" (v17). Paul then concludes the text for today by sharing that he will visit Corinth soon (v19) and that he will expose those who boast in themselves in their power - only to find that they are fools and that wisdom and power comes from Christ alone. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and love for me - amazing grace.  Thank You Jesus...I am not deserving of such blessing and grace.  My sin is great and it persists.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.