Monday, September 18, 2023

Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened.

1 Corinthians 5

Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. 1 Corinthians 5:7

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - unaided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 5.  Here Paul uses hard-hitting language to the church in Corinth, admonishing them for allowing sexual immorality (v1) and other sins (boasting - v6; greed, idolatry, reviler, drunkard, swindler - v11) to remain in the body of Christ.  He urges them to be removed (v2, 13). Paul uses the analogy of baking with yeast (v6-8) to urge them to remember that they are a new creation in Christ, so they should pursue sanctification from Christ, as He gives freedom from the slavery of sin and removes impurities as they grow closer to Him and become more like Him.  Paul concludes the text by sharing that the church in Corinth is to avoid associating with those who sin as described in the text.  While Christ did come to seek and save the lost, and pursued fellowship with sinners, we must acknowledge the danger of sinful influences in the body of Christ. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.