Thursday, September 14, 2023

Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! Without us you have become kings! And would that you did reign, so that we might share the rule with you!

1 Corinthians 4

Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! Without us you have become kings! And would that you did reign, so that we might share the rule with you! 1 Corinthians 4:8

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - unaided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 4:6-13. Here, Paul turns back to warning the church in Corinth about boasting in anything but Jesus - including self and ministry leaders (Paul, Cephas/Peter, and Apollos).  Paul first starts by sharing how all of the ministry leaders live humbly and focus on Jesus as a model so that those shepherded by these leaders may "learn" from them and also live humbly without boasting (v6).  He then points out how there is no basis for boasting anyway because all gifts/skills/blessings one may have are not through one's own efforts and instead "received" as a gift from God alone (v7).  Continuing, Paul describes how through Christ the church in Corinth is rich and having all things - to the point of lavish riches one might expect with royalty...indeed there is so much "received" that the ministry leaders "share" with the church members (v8).  Coming back to the ministry leaders, Paul then describes how the apostles are not worthy of worship (cult of personality - see posts from past several days) but are "last of all," "sentenced to death," "spectacles," "fools," "weak," "in disrepute," hungry and thirsty, "poorly dressed and buffeted and homeless," "reviled," "persecuted," "slandered," "like the scum of the world," and "the refuse of all things." Paul's colorful self-effacing language in v9-13 is used to illustrate how ministry leaders are servants and lowly existing to glorify God and not for self-glorification.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has lavishly poured out blessings and riches of abundance, including mercies that are new EVERY morning!  Thank You Jesus - I am undeserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.