Wednesday, September 13, 2023

There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

1 Corinthians 4

There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor? James 4:12

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 4:1-5.  The commentary's* introduction for the text shares as it's main idea: "Ministers are servants God will hold accountable for their good and bad service when Christ returns."  The introduction further describes this main idea by warning us against what it claims is "one of the poisonous sins for Christians: judgementalism." The commentary* refers to Don Carson's The Cross and Christian Ministry, Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians where the author writes: "one-upmanship was tearing the church apart" as the members within the church at Corinth used the "cult of personality" to drive division. Four divisions are then described*:

  1. A Minister Is a Servant of God (4:1): Paul, Apollos, and Cephas (Peter) are described as having achieved "celebrity status" and Paul seeks to address this within the church at Corinth.  V1 seeks to us back to the true role of church leaders - as servants of God, not worthy of any celebrity status or worship. 
  2. A Minister Is a Manager of the Mysteries of God (4:1-2): The commentary* builds on the first division by moving to v1b where leaders are described as "stewards of the mysteries of God". They are to "protect and proclaim the gospel"  and all that they do be found faithful to this end. Ultimately, they are held to a higher standard than members of the church as they are positions of trust and authority.
  3. A Minister Will Ultimately Be Judged Only by God (4:3-5): Although "cult of personality" ran rampant within the church at Corinth, Paul rebuked the church at Corinth by pointing out that judgement belongs to God alone and that he is not worried about judgement by others. This is of course a warning for all of us as God's judgement of us should be something we fear much more so than any human judgement. We are referred to James 4:12.
  4. A Minister Will Receive His Reward from God (4:5): The commentary* for this division describes how the final verse of the text is not critical but instead encouraging as it focuses on eternal rewards for leaders vs focus on judgement.

The commentary concludes by providing 10 thoughts to consider regarding being judgemental: 

  1. Check your motives.
  2. Examine your walk with the Lord first.
  3. Seek out the wisdom of God’s Word and godly counsel before acting.
  4. Practice the Golden Rule.
  5. Be careful not to make a snap decision or quick judgment.
  6. Pray for the one who appears to be caught in sin before correcting them.
  7. Remember the example of Jesus and how he helped and ministered to sinners.
  8. Speak the truth, but do it in love.
  9. Remember that some things are right or wrong, but some things are just different.
  10. Never forget that ultimately everyone must give an account to the Lord, not to you or anyone else.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible awesome God who is full of grace for me as You help me understand not only the Godly role of a church leader but also how these same commands apply to all believers, including myself.  Thank You for Your mercies and Your grace and Your sanctification.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.  

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.