Sunday, September 10, 2023

Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.

1 Corinthians 3

Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. 1 Corinthians 3:18

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - unaided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 3:18-23. As Paul wraps this chapter, he concludes by returning to wisdom and a contrast between Godly wisdom revealed by God alone to whom He chooses, and worldly wisdom, which is described as folly.  Using similar language in 1 John 1:8 where John warns us to avoid deceiving ourselves by claiming to be without sin, Paul also warns the church in Corinth to avoid being deceived by claiming to be wise (v18).  He shares the counter-intuitive but Godly thought that we should instead strive to become fools - emptying ourselves of worldly sin and influences and allowing ourselves to be filled by the Holy Spirit that takes captive our every thought (2 Corinthians 10:5).  God sees all of our thoughts, motives, plans, etc. and He knows our heart and "catches the wise" as they pursue wicked and ungodly pursuits - ultimately the paths of the wise are proven futile.  To illustrate his point, Paul refers us to Job 5:13 and Romans 1:21-22.  The text wraps by commanding us to avoid boasting in men or worldly wisdom - because we all belong to God and He is in control.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace for me - revealing Yourself and wisdom to me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of this and the many other blessings You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.