Friday, September 22, 2023

But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

 1 Corinthians 6

But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 6:11

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 6:1-11. The main idea provided by the commentary*: "Christians should avoid greed and selfish disputes that defame the church because Jesus has radically saved and changed them." The introduction makes it clear that the church is not the appropriate place to settle and resolve criminal matters - this is noted as "dangerous."  Secular bodies - the government, police, etc. play a role here.  Paul, instead is focused on civil matters between brothers and sisters in Christ and how we should be careful not to put disagreements and disputes on public display as this "contradicts" the message of the gospel. The commentary* unpacks these points by providing three divisions for the text:
  1. Suing a Fellow Believer Is Inconsistent with Our Future Responsibilities (6:1-3): We are referred to John 13:34-35 where Jesus commands believers to love one another as He loves them.  Jesus then states his motive - "[b]y this all people will know that you are my disciples[.]" Unfortunately, the church in Corinth failed to heed this command. The commentary* states that because of believers union with Christ, when Jesus returns and brings judgement to the world - we are participating in this effort because of our union with Christ. We are referred to Matthew 19:28, Luke 22:29-30, and Revelation 20:4. The commentary* then points to v3 where Paul writes how believers will participate in judgement of angels and the commentary shares: "[i]f you will someday judge these extraordinary creatures, you certainly should be able to handle the mundane matters of this life."  
  2. Suing a Fellow Believer Is Inconsistent with How the Church Should Work (6:4-8): The commentary* quotes John Piper: "[p]peacemakers ought to go to peace with each other."  Paul admonishes the church in Corinth, using "biting" sarcasm, for going outside the church for something that should be resolved inside the church.  The commentary* emphasizes how the church's "witness to unbelievers must not be compromised."  
  3. Suing a Fellow Believer Is Inconsistent with New Life in Christ (6:9-11): Here, Paul provides both a warning and an encouragement. The warning is in v9-10 to those in the church in Corinth practicing the many sins listed in these verses - eternal condemnation awaits those who live such lives. The encouragement is in v11 where Paul reminds those in the church in Corinth that God called them out of a life of sin and through election made them a new creation "in Christ."

The commentary* concludes with a referral to Ken Sande's "20 Ways to Prevent and Resolve Conflict in the Church." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides an incredible church for me - what a blessing!  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.