Monday, September 11, 2023

So let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, and you are Christ's, and Christ is God's.

1 Corinthians 3

So let no one boast in men. For all things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, and you are Christ's, and Christ is God's. 1 Corinthians 3:21-23

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 3:18-23. The commentary* provides the following main idea for the text: "[w]orldly wisdom fuels competition in the church and causes Christians to forget they have everything in Christ." It then goes on to unpack the text via following three divisions:

  1. Do Not Deceive Yourself; Know What True Wisdom Is (3:18): Paul warns the church in Corinth to be "on guard against self deception." Their lack of spiritual maturity lead them to focus not on Christ but on leaders and a "cult of personality." The commentary* writes about worldly wisdom: "The world delights in power and might. God works in weakness and suffering. The wisdom of this world mocks the cross. The wisdom of God glories in the cross. In terms of ministry, God works through servants, not superstars. He works through the nobodies, rarely the somebodies[.]" This is in direct opposition to what the world expects. 
  2. Remember, God Sees Every Action and Knows Every Thought (3:19-20): The commentary* describes how God  peers into the hearts of all men and thwarts all thoughts and actions that are contrary to His will.  It shares how impure thoughts and motives undermine the church: "[t]he plans of the wise of the world are foolish, empty, and ineffective....God sees every action and knows every thought of every person. If we desire to be wise in the eyes of God, we must believe, live, think, and act in ways that this world sees as foolish. Run the other way from worldly fads and ideologies. They will only let you down. In the end you will have played the fool." 
  3. Enjoy Every Blessing of God Because All Things Belong to You (3:21-23): The commentary* emphasizes "an amazing statement" in v22: "[w]hat an amazing statement of the blessings and wealth the believer has in Christ! God has made all unsinful things for our blessing, good, joy, and pleasure. For instance, God does not bless us with one teacher of the gospel but every teacher. He blesses us in life and death. He blesses us now and in the future. Everything is ours!" The commentary* then lists eight things from these verses that all believers should keep in mind: (a) Paul is ours (including the 13 letters he wrote in the Bible!).  (b) Apollos - noted as a gifted preacher, (c) Cephas (aka Peter) - upon which Christ built the church, (d) the entirety of creation, (e) life - and the abundance (not an earthly one) Christ promises, (f) death - the sting of death is overcome, (g) the present - sanctification, (h) the future - "[t]he future in Christ is not uncertain, scary, ominous, or nerve-racking. The one who holds my present also holds my future. We’ve read about the end, and we win! There is a rider who will arrive on a white horse." The commentary* for this division concludes by ensuring we understand all of these glorious realities belong to those who are in Christ.  We are referred to Matthew 3:17, John 1:1, Philippians 2:6, Colossians 1:15, and Hebrews 1:3.  

The commentary* wraps for the text by reinforcing how we are to avoid boasting in ourselves or relying on (in an ungodly manner) anything in the world.  "[B]oast only in Jesus."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me everything - thank You Jesus!  What an amazing promise and reality.  I am not deserving of how You provide - my sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.