Friday, September 1, 2023

For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

1 Corinthians 1

For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 1 Corinthians 1:25

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 1:18-25.  The commentary* provide three (3) divisions for the text:

  1. The Word of the Cross Separates the Lost and Saved (1:18): the commentary* describes how Paul "sets the table" in v18 by dividing "all of humanity into two camps: the perishing and the saved." The "word of the cross" is explained as core to the gospel as "unimaginable" according earthly standards of wisdom.  "The perishing simply cannot believe the cross is the way of salvation: that seems absurd."  Of course for believers, the cross is not only understood but it is - as the commentary* describes -    "the cross of Christ is the power of God that saves us in three tenses! It delivered us in the past from the penalty of sin (justification). It delivers us in the present from the power of sin (sanctification). It will deliver us in the future from the presence of sin (glorification). Nothing other than Jesus’s death on the cross could save us."
  2. The Wisdom of the Cross Highlights the Foolishness of Worldly Wisdom (1:19-21): Here the commentary refers us to Isaiah 55:8 and 29:14 as the basis for v19-21 where God's wisdom is described as superior and contrasted to the inferiority of worldly wisdom that is incapable of matching God's wisdom - worldly wisdom in the face of God's wisdom is rendered as foolishness.  The commentary* shares "[n]o matter how smart you think you are, God says, you are a fool to do life without Christ and his cross." It goes on the share: "[p]eople do not save themselves. God does! Humans are not saved by what they know (by a philosophy) but by the one they believe in (a person brutally executed on a cross for the forgiveness of sins). The message of a crucified Savior strips prideful humans of all their genius and intellectual achievements. It drives us to our knees at the foot of a horrible instrument of execution [(Christ's death on the cross)]."
  3. The Witness to the Cross Is a Hindrance to Some but the Power of God to Others (1:22-25). Here the commentary describes how the text shows how for some - (a) Paul's intended audience: the Jews and Greeks of the day, (b) those who today seek worldly knowledge above God (as an idol) - the cross and the gospel is not accepted.  At the same, those to whom God reveals Himself see the cross and the gospel as divine and offering salvation. The commentary* shares "the cross God outsmarted the wise and overpowered the strong. God’s seemingly foolish and weak thing is wiser and more powerful than anything mere mortals can come up with."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves and who went to the cross to save those whom You love and call - thank You Jesus for making me one of Your elect and for the salvation You provide.  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.