Sunday, October 29, 2023

Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.

 2 Thessalonians 2

Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4

I continue my pause on my study of 1 Corinthians as I participate in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  Today, my focus once again is 2 Thessalonians 2, and I lean on DesiringGod.com's Ask Pastor John feature where someone poses the question who is "Who is the Man of Lawlessness" discussed in 2 Thessalonians 2:3-12. 

Piper attempts to avoid that which is less certain and focuses instead on what the text describes and is more certain: 

  • man; "a human, not an angel, not a demon" (v3)
  • quintessentially lawless, subject to no law or lawgiver/authority (v3)
  • claims to be god, but opposed to all things God, and so the anti-christ (v4); see also 1 John 2:18
  • quintessentially doomed (v3)
  • not Satan but animated by, and in the service of Satan (v9)
  • as a man he has supernatural power, albeit in service of great falsehood (v9)
  • unparalleled in his ability to deceive (making unrighteousness a pleasure) (v10, 12)

Piper goes on to say that Paul's words here describe and unpack Jesus's prophecy from Matthew 24:10-13. Piper concludes by sharing that "I think some people try to get around this text by saying, 'Oh, there’ve been lots of men of lawlessness. They’ve cropped up in all kinds of seasons of history.' Well, that’s true, but it’s irrelevant because this man of lawlessness is going to be destroyed by the final fiery second coming."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good to me - I know that all I have is from You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to and apply Your message for me today and every day.