Monday, October 16, 2023

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace....Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

Ephesians 4

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace....Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love. Ephesians 4:1-3, 15-16

Today, I am pausing in my study of 1 Corinthians to dig deeper into studies provided by my church - Bay Leaf Baptist Church as part of its Multiply initiative - from my study booklet, my focus this morning for reading is Ephesians 4:1-16, and 2 Corinthians 9:10-11 for memorization. The study booklet, on page 34 shares how "the first three chapters of his letter to the Ephesians, Paul writes about the beauty of the gospel message. The final three chapters of Ephesians are an explanation of how a transformed follower of Jesus should live in light of the gospel by the power of the Holy Spirit. Paul begins this teaching with an exhortation to be unified in Christ." Paul makes this exhortation in Ephesians 4 by first (vv1-3) urging believers to "walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." Paul then (vv5-6) defines unity and how believers are bonded together (one body) by "one Spirit, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father."  In v6, Paul further reminds us that the One True God we serve is "over all and through all and in all" (God reigns over all). In vv7-12, Paul says that regardless of how we serve and are bonded together through faith in the One True God, Jesus Christ graced us with spiritual gifts (Paul references Psalm 68:18) - so we are unique but designed to work together "for the work of ministry, [and] for building up the body of Christ."  In v13, Paul urges us to do such work (ministry and for building up the body of Christ) until "the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ", implying until glorification.  In v14, Paul provides a tertiary reason for the work he describes - so that we can grow in our maturity in faith and withstand Satan's schemes and continue to defend against sin and temptation. In vv15-16 Paul concludes the text for today by providing a portrait of how church unity works - using a physical body as an analogy.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides me church to support me in my effort to be worthy of the calling You gave me.  Thank You for Bay Leaf Baptist church.  I am not deserving of how You love me and bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...will You please forgive me and help me turn from and overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.