Saturday, October 28, 2023

So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.

 2 Thessalonians 2

So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter. 2 Thessalonians 2:15

I continue my pause on my study of 1 Corinthians as I participate in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  This morning, I my focus is once again 2 Thessalonians 2, and I am assisted by the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary Series volume for 1-2 Thessalonians to unpack the text. The commentary's:

  • Main idea for the text: "God gives us a glimpse into the future so that we can live hopefully and expectantly in the present."
  • Introduction for the text (excerpts): "This portion of Paul’s letter introduces some new material, including the events surrounding a coming world leader called the “man of lawlessness” (2:3). This individual will be the personification of evil like this world has never seen....His purpose is twofold: to usurp the place of God and to deceive those who are perishing. But as quickly as he enters the scene of human history, the return of Jesus Christ will bring an abrupt end to his reign of terror (2:8)....Paul is less interested in satisfying our eschatological whims and more concerned with bringing the Thessalonians pastoral encouragement."

The commentary then provides the following divisions (covering through v12):

  1. Deception Distorts Reality (2:1-3a, 5): "Satan’s goal has [always] been to deceive God’s people and to thwart God’s purposes (Gen 3:1; John 8:44)....[His] battle plan includes two main strategies: exploit our weaknesses, and blind us to God’s truth."  While the Thessalonians are under attack for their faith (see 2 Thessalonians 1), Paul builds on his efforts from chapter one where he seeks to comfort the Thessalonians by reminding them of doctrine he previously shared concerning Christ's second coming.  In this chapter, his focus is on end times where Satan (referred to as the "man of lawlessness") is no longer restrained (by God) from doing harm as he sees fit, but instead allowed to rule briefly.  The case is made for a "pre-tribulational view of the rapture" where Christ will "snatch" the church away into His protection prior to Satan allowing to rule. Paul shares these details with the church in Thessalonians to give them comfort knowing what will come and not to be deceived about it from false teachers.  The commentary describes how "[t]he only corrective to false teaching is repeatedly and consistently to expose people to true teaching— God’s revealed Word (Jude 3-4).   
  2. Rebellion Intensifies in History (2:3b-4,6-10a): "Paul points the Thessalonians to three future events: the apostasy, the revelation of the man of lawlessness, and the removal of the restrainer (2:3b, 7-8)."  The man of lawlessness is described as the anti-christ as he opposes God in all ways: "God stands for creation; he is the son of destruction; God demands worship; he sits in God’s sanctuary; God declares truth; he peddles unrighteous deception; Jesus was revealed from heaven; he will be revealed from earth; Jesus will come for His church; he will come in Satan’s power." 
  3. God Controls Our Destiny (2:8b, 10b-12): "The antichrist exits the stage of history just as quickly as he entered when God seals his fate with the coming of Jesus Christ. The same fate awaits every person who will be deceived by the antichrist. Even during the dreadful Day of the Lord, God’s purposes will prevail."  A chilling warning to those who deny Christ is provided: "[c]ondemnation is the inevitable outcome of deliberate and willful disregard for and rejection of the truth of the gospel. Whether a person chooses to accept or reject salvation is a matter of the heart."  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and protects me from the great deceiver by arming me with all I need to battle sin and deception.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessing and love. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.