Wednesday, January 16, 2013

...[A]nd if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words, then you will find your joy in the Lord...[.]

Isaiah 58

“If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
and the Lord’s holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
then you will find your joy in the Lord[.] v13-14

It is important to focus on intent - what is the heart condition?  This is the case with many questions of scripture and our understanding and application.  Do we work on the Sabbath? 

See Luke 14:1-4:

1 One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched. 2 There in front of him was a man suffering from abnormal swelling of his body. 3 Jesus asked the Pharisees and experts in the law, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath or not?” 4 But they remained silent. So taking hold of the man, he healed him and sent him on his way.


It is not a question of working or not but again where the heart is...verse 13 "by not going your own way" makes this more clear.   We are to rest in the Lord and on the Lord's day - Sabbath - as a way to focus on Him and put our trust in Him that He provides, heals, resolves and that we don't need to "work" - we simply need to trust in Him.  Resting is our way of trusting Him.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You provide, You heal, You create....and You are SO much more!  You are a great God full of love.  I am not worthy of such love Lord...as I often hide from You or neglect You.  I know You welcome me back anytime and love me anyway - thank You of course for this - but please forgive me.  Help me deepen my desire for You.  Help me so that Your desires are my desires.