Wednesday, January 23, 2013

For as the soil makes the sprout come up and a garden causes seeds to grow, so the Sovereign Lord will make righteousness and praise spring up before all nations.

Isaiah 61

For as the soil makes the sprout come up
nd a garden causes seeds to grow,
so the Sovereign Lord will make righteousness
and praise spring up before all nations.

The analogy of gardening is used elsewhere in scripture to demonstrate that our faith needs to be tended to:

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.  John 15:1-8

My Prayer: Lord, You are a gracious God and perfect in all ways.  I am not...that is why I need You.  I need You to save me and to cleanse me.  I am also weak and lack courage and this cause inaction in me.  I know You love me anyway but please forgive me Lord Jesus.  Help me become the servant You desire, and the husband and father You desire for me.  Help me so that Your desires become my desires.