Monday, March 18, 2013

15 Jeremiah said to Zedekiah, “If I give you an answer, will you not kill me? Even if I did give you counsel, you would not listen to me.”

Jeremiah 38

Jeremiah said to Zedekiah, “If I give you an answer, will you not kill me? Even if I did give you counsel, you would not listen to me.” v15

Jeremiah knows of God and His power, might, compassion, etc. He is a prophet and God speaks to him regularly.  It is Jeremiah's job to convey God's messages to His children.  He does this in face of great danger to himself. 

We are no different than Jeremiah.  Although we are not prophets, we know God's word, its power, and we are to proclaim God's word to all corners of the world.  Throughout scripture, God's servants speak and act boldly in the face of great personal danger.  For example, Peter and John are called before the Sanhedrin after healing the paralyzed man in front of the temple and they are commanded not to speak of Jesus.  Peter's response:

But Peter and John replied, “Which is right in God’s eyes: to listen to you, or to him? You be the judges! As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.” Acts 4:19-20

I should be asking God for the same courage.

My Prayer: Lord, Your power is undeniable and so is Your greatness.  I have witnessed Your power in my own life and in the lives of those around me.  There is no other God except You.  Yet I fail to speak out boldly on your behalf.  I know You love me anyway, but please Lord Jesus help me proclaim Your greatness.  Forgive me for my fear and weakness.  Give me courage.