Monday, March 11, 2013

I will discipline you but only in due measure; I will not let you go entirely unpunished.

Jeremiah 30

I will discipline you but only in due measure;
I will not let you go entirely unpunished. v11

Just as Israel and Judah are to be restored, the Lord tells Jeremiah to pass on a message to his children that although they are to be restored, their sin will not go unpunished. 

I am of course not unlike, the Israelites.  I sin and I sin often.  I fall short.  I must understand that sin does not go unpunished.  I must also understand that if I turn from my sin and ask God for His forgiveness, He will forgive.  My response to God's gift of forgiveness should be to respect this freedom and act as if it is free but it is also expected that I must mature on my own and that patience has its limits:

Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God,  instruction about cleansing rites, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.  Hebrews 6:1

God expects that His discipline to work!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, Your training and discipline I know comes from love.  Your love for me is beyond what I deserve and I am deeply thankful and amazed that You love me so much.  Forgive me for my laziness and lack of courage.  Help me be the man You intend for me.  Help me so that Your desires are my desires.  Help me so that I can live a live of faith and action - to serve You and to allow Your plan and Your love to shine through me.