Thursday, September 12, 2013

10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.

Matthew 8

When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.  v10

 What is great about this story is, as Jesus says, the strength of the centurion's faith and the courage required to have such faith.  Although it is not explicit in the text, it is not likely that the centurion had ever met Jesus but had only heard about Him and this required great courage, particularly because he was a roman soldier - a man of authority.  I suspect not many roman soldiers at the time became Christians...I don't know for sure I just suspect.  

What is also striking, again particularly because the centurion was a man of authority and power, is that the centurion had great concern for his servant:

When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.” v5-6

Such humility allows the strength of Jesus to shine. 

My Prayer: Lord, You truly are the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, You are the only God for me.  I desire no other.  You have blessed me beyond what I deserve and in many instances because I don't deserve anything.  I need You desperately.  Thank You that You love me even though You don't need me.  You died for me just so that I could have life, life in abundance.  Help me grow in my faith and trust in You.