Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’?

Matthew 9

Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? v5

My initial question upon reading v1-8 in this chapter was - why didn't Jesus heal the paralyzed man when He first encountered Him instead of just forgiving the man of his sins?

I believe Jesus does this because Jesus wants us to recognize a few key things, including (1) that grace and forgiveness are available to all people regardless of who they are, etc; (2) that our physical circumstances are less important than our spiritual condition.

Too often I focus on my physical (or more broadly my earthly) circumstances which ARE less important.  I worry about too much.  I really should only focus on being right with God and if I have this I should no reason to worry.  This is certainly easier said that done but nonetheless worth pursuing.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO full of grace and forgiveness for me and this is a tremendous blessing.  I am not worthy of the love You have for me and the blessings You provide.  I worry far too much.  Thank You that You love me despite my worry but please forgive me for this worry.  Help me love, trust, and obey You with all of my heart, mind, soul, and strength.