Friday, September 13, 2013

Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

Matthew 8

Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”  But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.”

Upon first reading it was not apparent what Jesus was saying here - my first thought was that this man was just offering an excuse for why he could not follow Jesus.

I found this commentary which helped clarify this statement for me and it is very relevant to me as of course all of the bible.

Control of people and circumstances is a big deal to me and I currently in the midst of how I can give this to God and submit to Him.  I worry too much about this or that and should just trust that God can sort things out.

My Prayer: Lord, You are an awesome God - totally in control and in love with and for me!  I am not deserving of such a great God.  I sin - I worry too much.  Thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me for my worry and for my desire to have control.  I desire to submit to You....everything.  Please help me Jesus.