Monday, September 30, 2013

"...no bag for the journey or extra shirt or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep."

Matthew 10

"...no bag for the journey or extra shirt or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep."

As Jesus sends His disciples out to spread the Good News, He urges them to take no money.  I think what is going on here is that first He does not want the disciples to be focused on earning money but instead on saving the lost - purely a matter of focus and everyone is worth saving regardless of who has any money or not.  Another thing I think going on here is that Jesus is giving them all jobs and He wants the disciples to know that ONLY Jesus will provide so their trust should remain in Jesus alone.  Also, while I may be reading into this perhaps I think Jesus wants us to feel blessed by blessing others and to enjoy the riches of this reward vs any monetary payment.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus You are incredible...that You love and bless me!  I am not deserving of all the ways You bless me...I am not even worthy of identifying all the ways You bless me because there are too many for my human mind to comprehend!  How great You are!  Thank You that You love me despite my apathy and neglect for You - that I don't run to your feet daily.  Please help me love You with all of my heart, mind and soul.