Tuesday, November 26, 2013

“Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

Matthew 17

“Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” v20

Of interest here is how Jesus gives the twelve disciples full authority to "drive out impure spirits " in Matthew chapter 10, yet His disciples are unable to heal the man's son in Matthew 17:16.

Jesus' response implies that the disciples lacked faith.  Perhaps there faith was in themselves or they lacked confidence...I am not sure but again the heart condition is key.  We need confidence but this confidence must lie in Jesus alone.

The reference to the parable of the mustard seed is also key - see also 13:31-32:

He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”
 
My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, it is without doubt that You can move mountains and accomplish anything.  You conquered sin and death and all for us!  How amazing.  I am not deserving of such blessing.  I neglect You and am easily distracted by earthly and world concerns - worry.  Thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me Jesus.  Help me turn from such sin and help me be the man You intend for me.