Monday, August 14, 2017

God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill? I have received a command to bless; he has blessed, and I cannot change it.

Numbers 23

God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill? I have received a command to bless; he has blessed, and I cannot change it. v19-20

God delivered the above message to Balak through Balaam.  Key for us to remember is that God is not like us - He is God.  This is of course obvious but many of us, including myself, get mad or be disappointed with God because we expect Him to be good to us or to respond to us in prayer how we expect.  

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

God does say that we will get anything that we ask for in His Name:


"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." John 14:13-14
 
Yet what does "in my name" mean - for me it means "in His image" in the sense that we were made in His image (see Genesis 1), and made to glorify God.  When we renew our mind, we can better recognize His desires.
 
May [the Lord] give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. Psalm 20:4
 
My Prayer: Lord God, You are an awesome God full of love and compassion for me.  Thank You Jesus - I am not worth such love.  I am harsh with my words.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as the Lord and Savior. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.