Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Moses heard the people of every family wailing at the entrance to their tents. The Lord became exceedingly angry, and Moses was troubled.

Numbers 11

Moses heard the people of every family wailing at the entrance to their tents. The Lord became exceedingly angry, and Moses was troubled. v10

Very rarely do you hear sermons about how God becomes angry.  In fact, a quick search this morning revealed to me that God is described more often as "angry" than "slow to anger, abounding in love".  In the Bible, God's anger is aroused when his people are repeatedly disobedient and when they have hardened hearts. 

Yet, when we think about it, all of us have hardened hearts to some degree - we say, I can't do this or that when in reality we can - of course with God's help.

One of my favorite verses of the Bible is when the angel Gabriel speaks to Mary and reassures her that we can have faith in God's promises.  Luke 1:37 of the NIV translation says, "[f]or no word from God ever fails".  The NKJ translation says "For with God nothing will be impossible”.

“With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26

Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you. Matthew 17:20

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. Ephesians 1:18-21

We should recognize the power of Jesus that is within us and not be hardened.  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me - this I know.  Yet there are parts of my life that are hardened.  Please forgive me Jesus and do not be angry with me.  Help me turn from my sin and towards You. I want to overcome the world and my sin.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me have faith!  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.