Thursday, September 28, 2017

After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed.

Judges 11

After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed. v39

Jephthah the Gileadite makes a vow to the Lord that "[i]f you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord’s, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.” (v30-31).

The Lord indeed gave the Ammonites into Jephthah's hands (v32) and so Jephthah is compelled to fulfill his vow to the Lord - however, upon his return home Jephthah finds that for him to fulfill his vow he must sacrifice his daughter (v35).  

Of note here is that not only is Jephthah willing (v35, 39) to submit to the Lord in fulfillment of the vow but so is his daughter (v36-39).

My takeaway here is that our relationship with the Lord is the most important relationship in our life - above our marriage, and all others in our immediate family.  Much like Abraham, we must be willing to put the Lord first.  Jesus submitted to His Father...

This is a tough pill to swallow but God must come first and if it is God's plan to take our children, spouse, etc. we cannot stop God's plan anyway.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has saved me and molded me into more of the man You desire for me - I have experienced Your grace, patience, compassion, etc.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You and help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith and put You first.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Please help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.